Squirrels in the attic: what are the solutions?
January 26th, 2021
Squirrels in your attic are a problem any way you look at it. Although they might be fun to watch as they scurry around your yard and along hydro wires, there’s nothing cute about the extensive damage squirrels can cause in a home. If you have squirrels using your attic as a home or food storage depot, you need to evict them right away.
Squirrels use attics, primarily in the winter, for a warm place to sleep and eat. It’s a common myth that squirrels have a good memory. In fact, the opposite is true. As such, squirrels hide nuts in many, many spots during the summer and autumn so that they have a higher chance of finding one as they sniff around in search of a meal in the winter months. Your attic might be one of those places they choose to hide food and then revisit on their self-imposed treasure hunt.
The nature control specialists at BW Nature Control have a few tips on how to safely get rid of squirrels in your attic. If you have questions or need help to remove squirrels or other unwanted visitors from your attic in Ottawa or Gatineau, don’t hesitate to give us a call!
Find the entry point
There is no point in getting rid of the squirrels in your attic if you don’t intend to seal up the opening that they’re using to get in. There are a few ways you can identify their entry point:
- Look for paw prints in the snow especially around soffits and vents
- Enter your attic during the day and look for light seeping through holes
- Inspect your exterior and interior roof areas for bent or missing soffits or mesh
- Listen for clawing or chewing sounds especially at dawn and dusk
Once you have found the entry point (or points, they often have more than one), take the necessary measures to permanently seal the opening. Make sure the squirrel is not in the attic at the time, otherwise you’ll be dealing with some extra mess and odors in the coming days.
Make your attic uninviting
One way to deter squirrels from wanting to build their nest or sneak in and out for hidden food stashes is to make your attic as uninviting as possible. We’re aiming for a 0-star rating here, folks! Some commonly used DIY methods for keeping squirrels out of your attic include:
- Installing a lamp so that the area isn’t dark and cozy. Caution: use only lightbulbs that do not get hot in order to avoid the risk of fire.
- Making noise in the attic by playing a radio, or banging on the attic hatch cover from time to time throughout the day and night
- Spread commercially produced and safety approved products that emit an odor that squirrels do not like. Caution: do not spread chemicals such as ammonia or mothballs which can be hazardous to your health
Who can help get rid of squirrels in my attic?
If you are unable to evict the squirrel who has taken up residence in your attic, or that is scurrying in and out in search of nuts they have stashed, don’t hesitate to contact the team at BW Nature Control. We serve the Ottawa and Gatineau regions and are happy to help you with any questions or needs you have when it comes to unwanted pests in your attic. Call us for animal control services today!